Crafting The Past
38/28-30 Coney Street

38/28-30 Coney Street

From the  An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central

Houses, Nos. 26, 28, 30, form an L-shaped range, three and four storeys high, enclosing two sides of Judges’ Court. These three houses were probably built between 1830 and 1840; they have been converted to shop premises and much altered. The oldest fittings remaining date from the late 19th century.

1829 Boot & Shoe Makers, Brodell Lawrence

1840 Spirit Merchts Scruton Wm,

1850 Grocers & Tea Dealers & fruiterers *Scruton Wm,

1861 winn john grocer

1870 Coulson Mary Ann, dressmaker
Wignall, William Joiner and cabinet maker

1876 Winn and Border, grocers and Italian warehousemen

1885 Border Samuel, grocer, wine and spirit merchant, and Italian warehouseman

1889 Border and Co. family grocers, wine merchants and Italian warehousemen (see advt) until 1898

1895 Ramsden, Archibald, Ltd., musical instrument dealers

1905 Ramsden Archibald Lim. (George Henry Attenborough manager), pianoforte

1913 Cook Thomas & Son, tourist agents

Upstairs, Tonkin F. D. & Son, clerical tailors

Upstairs Darch Miss Mary Louisa, milliner

1921 Cook Thomas & Son, tourist agents

38A, Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, Northern Province (Rev. A.M. Peckham, chief organising sec)

38A, City of York Agricultural Co-operative Association (Col. Rchd. A. Bottomley, sec)

1929 Cook Thomas & Son Ltd. tourist agents

Cook Thomas & Son ( Bankers) Ltd

Welch Miss Jessie, tea rms

Railway Clerks’ Association (W. H. Farrar, divisional sec)

City Typewriting Office

milliners and dressmakers on Coney Street York