Crafting The Past
25/43 Coney Street

26/43 Coney Street

Number 26 seems to be the middle building of Boots.

From 1898 it was Lipton Tea and joined with number 27, however earlier in the century 26 was linked to 25, in the building bought by James Barber The building is listed in the deed records

Prior to the modern building there were 3 shops on the plot. This building became the picture house and then Woolworths, who then modernised it, before it became Boots




the site of one of the James Barber shops had a house which was the residence and place of business of the Mathew Family, Frances  Mathew wife of the archbishop died in 1629 in The Darley house. Unsure which of the buildings it was

James Barber
Silver Turner 25&26 

1861 Cooke Thomas & Sons, watch & clock makers & opticians 

1870 Holden William Henry, surgeon dentist 

1872 Holden William Henry, surgeon dentist  

1876 Grayston Elton, dentist 

1885 Grayston & Osborn, surgeon-dentists 

1886 Grayston & Osborn, surgeon-dentists 

1889 Grayston and Osborn, dentists 

1893 Osborn George Hy. dentist 

 1893 26 & 27 Wragge & Co. drapers &c  

1895 Lipton J. T. tea & provision merchant 

Osburn Geo. Henry, dental surgeon  

1898 Osborn, G. H., dental surgeon 

1900 Osborn, George Henry, dental surgeon 

1902 Osborn, George Henry, dental surgeon 

1905 Osborn George Hy. Dentist 

1913 Osborn George Hy. dentist cleaners 

1921 York Picture House (The) (Henry J. Smith, mngr) 

1929 York Picture House (The)(E. D. Hainge, mngr) 

watchmakers in Coney Street York