SE6051NW CONEY STREET 1112-1/28/249 (South West side) 14/06/54 Nos.3, 5 AND 7 and attached garden wall
EXTERIOR: 3-storey front; 3 windows to No.3; 4 windows to No.5; 6 windows to No.7. Shopfront extends through ground floor of all buildings. Windows on second floor of No.3 are 12-pane sashes, three at right end C18, with painted flat arches of gauged brick. Elsewhere windows have been altered to various styles, several being 2-light bordered casements, and two on first floor of No.5 in raised architraves with painted flat arches. Plain parapet to all three buildings; inverted bell rainwater heads decorated with winged cherub heads to Nos 3 and 5, dated 1775 and 1770 respectively. Rear: garden wall between Nos 5 and 7, raked-up and varying in height from approximately 2.0 metres to 4.0 metres; terrace garden to No.5 built against one side, and outbuildings to No.7 constructed against the other side. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: garden wall of orange-red brick in stretcher bond, with moulded stone coping, partly covered in asphalt. RCHM record plaster ceilings surviving on ground floor of No.5 (underceiled), and at rear of first floor of No.7. Nos 3 and 5 have C18 staircases. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 125).
Listing NGR: SE6014851886
Possibly built by the Darley Family in the 16thc ?
1630 ? John Thompson Goldsmith,
John Thompson Goldsmith
John Thompson Goldsmith
Leonard Thompson Goldsmith
1719 Francis Taylor Gentleman
1732 Francis Meek
1767 William Siddall, Taylor
1791 Robert Rhodes, Taylor ?
1829 Perfumers and Hair Dressers Parsons & Son
1840 Umbrella Manfrs, Beane Sarah & Son, 2 Coney street
1851 Joseph Cooke silk mercer Alice Cooke milliner & dressmaker
1861 Dale William Henry, bootmaker
1872 Walker Thomas, auctioneer
Dale William Henry, bootmaker
1876 Nicholson Mr John Ward
2 & 3 Kirby & Nicholson, drapers, silk mercers, and ladies’ outfitters
1885 2 & 3 Kirby & Nicholson, silk mercers, drapers and ladies’ outfitters
1886 2 & 3 Kirby & Nicholson, silk mercers, drapers and ladies’ Outfitters
1889 2-3 Kirby and Nicholson, drapers
1898 2-3 Kirby & Nicholson, Ltd., drapers, &c.
1905 2 & 3 Kirby & NicholsonLim. linen drprs. & silk mercrs
1913 2 & 3 Kirby & NicholsonLim. linen drprs.& silk merers
1929 2 & 3 Kirby & Nicholson (York) Ltd.linen drapers & silk mercers
We are unsure if the house was built for the Thompson family or sold to them at some point, potentially by the Darley family, as there are some conflicting accounts. The original buildings however don’t exist and are now mainly early 18thc. This information applies to both 2 & 3 (old numbering) Coney Street
The house was occupied in the early 17thc by John Thompson Goldsmith, son of Sir Henry Thompson a wine merchant in High Ousegate and Sheriff in 1602.
He was succeeded by his son John Thompson goldsmith, Alderman in 1683.
Followed by his son John Thompson Sheriff in 1700.
The last occupier of the Thompson family was Leonard also a Goldsmith and Sheriff in 1707. He died in 1711 and his wife on her death in 1711 left the houses to Francis Taylor of York Gent.
Francis taylor married Anne , daughter of Sir Thomas Hutton Knight of Poppleton. On his death in 1714 they were left to his Great Nephew Francis Meek, along with the rest of the Thompson estate.
In 1767 Francis Meek sells the Coney St Houses to William Siddall who partners with Robert Rhodes, and a deeds record in 1791 seems to leave the property to him, or splits it. not sure if all of the houses. Need to translate further