From the British Listed Buildings Records
SE6051NW CONEY STREET
1112-1/28/251 (South West side)
14/06/54 No.13+GV II
Formerly known as: No.8 CONEY STREET.
House. Mid C18, with early C19 alterations; ground floor
rebuilt in C20. Orange-grey mottled brick in Flemish bond withand red brick dressings; slate and pantile double span roof,
valley masked by ramped-up parapet; brick stack.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 1-window front, on brick plinth. Entrance in right return. 2-storey bow window to ground and first floors, with canted 1-pane sash windows and moulded cornices.
Second floor window is 4-pane sash beneath brick arch partly obscured by paired modillion eaves cornice. 4-course raised brick band to second floor, returned at right end. Right return: 3 storeys with gabled attics; 3-bay front. Central door of 6 fielded panels with cross-glazed overlight, in door case of engaged fluted columns with acanthus capitals, plain frieze with latticed blocks and plain cornice hood:
blocked windows on either side, with segmental arches. On first floor, original 12-pane sash window in centre, between blocked outer windows, all in brick quoined surrounds with lat arches of gauged brick. Second floor window is 2×6-pane horizontal sliding sash in quoined surround, with segmental arch. Left attic has 2-light casement window, right one a tall blocked opening. Raised first floor band, continued across projecting wing at rear. Wing has 4-pane sash window on ground floor, 12-pane sashes on first and second floors, and coved eaves cornice.
INTERIOR: first-floor front room has early C19 cornice and fielded panel doors in early C19 architraves. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 125-126).
1840 Brush Warehouses, Marked * are Brush Manufacturers *Rawdon Henry
1861 Oates John Edwin & James Daniel, architects & surveyors,
Hope George, bookseller
1870 Dillon Mrs Eleanor, French corset maker
1876 Dillon Mrs Eleanor, French corset maker
1885 Dillon Mrs. Eleanor, French corset maker
1886 Dillon Mrs. Eleanor, French corset maker
1889 Dillon, Miss E. stay and corset mkr.
1893 Dillon Mrs. Emma & Cecily, corset makers
1895 Dillon Misses E. & C. corsetiers
1898 Murfin & Thorpe, stay and corset makers
1900 Murfin & Thorpe, stay and corset makers
1902 Murfin & Thorpe, stay and corset maker
1905 Murfin & Thorpe corset mas
1913 Murfin & Thorpe,corset mas
1920 Nobbs, Annie Eliza
1921 Murfin & Thorpe, corset mas
1929 Murfin & Thorpe,corset mas
59. Premises on the site of 8-9 Coney Street
1 Lease from the churchwardens to John Standeven of a
house in the churchyard of St Martin, Coney St., fpr
27 December 1580
2 Counterpart of lease from the feoffees to Marmaduke
Lynne of 2 chambers and a study or office under them
and one other little messuage, with a little chamber
built on the common lane leading from Coney St. to
River Ouse, which opens on to the churchyard, for 21
3 May 1617
3. Lease and counterpart from the feoffees to Ann Latham of
2 tenements adjoining the churchyard of St Martin’s,
for 21 years.
28 July 1636
4. Counterpart of lease from the feoffees to Cornelius
Horsley of a messuage of one low room and two chambers
above, and one little room over the common lane
adjoining the tenement, for 21 years.
19 February 1679
5. Lease and counterpart from the feoffees to William
Bankes of the above premises for 21 years.
1 November 1694
F.5 59. (contd.)
6. Counterpart of lease from the feoffees to Lawrence
Silcock of the above premises for 21 years.
14 December 1714
7. Counterpart of lease from the feoffees to Thomas Allanson
of the above premises for 99 years. Thomas Allanson also
undertakes to pull down and rebuild the messuage at his
26 February 1744
8. Papers relating to 8-9 Coney St. and The Yorkshire
Herald Newspaper Co.Ltd.
/1 Draft of conveyance from the feoffees to the Yorkshire
Herald of No.8 Coney St.
18 December 1920
/2 Counterpart of agreement between the vicar,
churchwardens and feoffees, and the Yorkshire
Herald in which the Yorkshire Herald agrees to
reduce the ehight of its walls bordering the
churchyard. Plans attached.
10 May 1940
/3 Papers relating to the sale of 9 Coney Street to
Yorkshire Herlad, including applications to the
Charity Commissioners and the conveyance from the
feoffees to Yorkshire Herald, 28 April 1949.
/4 Papers relating to the creation of a public right
of way over the churchyard and a new entrance to the
underground St Martin’s Lane. Plans included.
May 1949-April 1950
/5 Correspondence relating to the sale of 9 Coney St
and diversion of St Martin’s Lane.
July 1948-November 1951
/6 Papers relating to access to the Yorkshire Herald
Electricity Substation site, with plan and key,
Feb.-Nov.1951, and an agreement for underground
electricity cables in the churchyard, with plan.
9. Bond for performance of covenants in a deed of the same
date between the feoffees and Cornelius Horsley.
25 April 1663
10. Papers relating to the will of Thomas de Loudham, 1336,
and its implications for the income of the vicar from
parish property in the churchyard.
11. Agreement between the churchwardens and Betty Arey for
the tenancy of two rooms in the parish house in the
6 February 1852
F.5 59. (contd.)
12. Memorandum of an agreement between the churchwardens
and George Gill for the tenancy of a room in the parish
house in the churchyard.
13 December 1852
13. Itemized estimate for repairs to the tenement in the
14. Memorandum of acknowledgement between Alfred Ely and
William Wallace and the Churchwardens and Overseers
respecting a window light overlooking the parish property.
23 December 1870
15. Letter from William D.Willison concerning the privilege
granted to him of placing a ladder in the passage leading
from Coney St to the River Ouse.
13 June 1872