Crafting The Past
25/43 Coney Street

25/43 Coney Street

Number 25 seems to be the Coney Street edge of Boots,

From 1898 it was Lipton Tea and joined with number 26, however earlier in the century 26 was linked to 25, in the building bought by James Barber

Prior to the modern building there were 3 small shops on the plot




Thomas Appleyard approx 1550 ? unsure if this footprint or next door to the Barber properties
became Judges Lodgings during assizes prior to Judges Court. Mentioned in pageant records as a station

Along with 26 the home of the various permutations of  Cattle, Barber, Whitwell and North for many years. Rented not bought, in 1802 showing as £45 per year

The buildings are mentioned in a number of deed and rental records

Richard Tireman
Edward Bell
Hampston, Prince, George Cattle

1808 Robert Cattle & James Barber

1823 Barber

1840 Barber and North Jewellers, watchmakers, Engravers
and Copper Plate Printers,

1851 Clarke & Perkins County Court Office 

Thomas Gladin Silver Turner 25&26  

1861 Heselgrave Robert, silversmith  

1870-1900 Hamilton and Hall, grocer and Italian warehousemen 

1900 Snarry, Madame, costumier 
Hamilton & Hall, grocers, Italian warehousemen, and wine and spirit merchts. 

1902 Snarry, Madame, costumier Hamilton & Hall, grocers, Italian warehousemen, and wine and spirit merchants 

1905 Kelly’s  

25 Hamilton & Hall, gros. &c 

25A, Clarke & Mennell, solctrs 

25A, Mennell George Henry 


Jeweller and Watchmaker Coney Street York