(135) Range of three houses, Nos. 36, 38, 40 (Fig. 74), of four storeys, was built shortly before the rebuilding of the adjacent Black Swan in 1790. All three have modern shops on the ground floor. No. 38 has a normal town-house plan, with a spacious staircase between front and back rooms, and No. 40 appears to be similar but the upper floors are now shut off. No. 36 is of greater depth, making use of a light-well, and in the late 19th century was joined to a complex of earlier buildings behind; these include a three-storeyed timber-framed structure probably built in the early 17th century but later cased with brickwork, and two small three-storey brick houses, one of them mid 18th-century, the other a little later.
1829 trade directory Surgeons Clarke George
1840 Surgeons, Clarke George,
1851 George Bland silk mercers
1861 Bland George, silk mercer
1870 Bland George and Son,
1872 35 & 36 Bland George and Son, drapers and silk mercers
1876 35 and 36 Bland George amd Son, drapers and silk mercers
1885 Bland Geo. & Son, silk mercers and dress and mantle makers
1886 Bland Geo. & Son, silk mercers and dress and mantle makers
1889 Guy, J and Son, musical instrument dealers
1893 Gray John & Sons, pianoforte dealers
1895 Gray John & Sons, musical instrument dealers
1898 Gray, J. & Sons, musical instrument dealers (and at Hull) see advt.
1900 Gray, J. & Sons, musical instrument dlrs,
1902 Gray, J. & Sons, musical instrument dlrs.
1905 Gray John & Sons, pianoforte warehouse
1913 Gray John & Sons, pianoforte warehouse
1921 Gray John & Sons, pianoforte warehouse
1929 Gray John & Sons Ltd. pianoforte wareho